Monday 28 February 2011

The Illusionist

Well the Oscar's were a rather predictable affair, I thought Kings Speech was a good film but not sure it was Oscar worthy. Anyway I would like to bring to your attention a nominee in best animation, The Illusionist directed by Sylvain Chomet who also directed Belleville Rendez-Vous 2003 (also an excellent film). This is the film that should of won I believe anyway! 




It is a stunning and poignant film that started out as a screenplay written by the extraordinary talented actor/performer/director Jacques Tati. The film centre's on a ageing magician who tries to earn a living on stage when he is faced with the new craze of rock n roll. He ends up befriending a young girl who's every whim he tries to heart heartbreakingly deliver, the scene's in the mechanic shop are very endearing. The film is a tale on friendship, loneliness and the beauty of living.  Similar to Tati's own films Chomet focuses the audience on observing every detail, there is little dialogue, yet so much is said. So if you want to be charmed and enamoured watch this and wait till toy story 3 shows up on tv.

4 comments:

  1. I love this movie, it's so beautiful! I'm a Tati-fan too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it! Ooh I just love tati what's your favourite film of his? think mine has to be playtime but I adore them all

    ReplyDelete
  3. Playtime is wonderful! I think my favourite is 'Les vacances de monsieur Hulot', it's so charming :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes that is brilliant love pretty much every scene in it, the way he uses sound for comedy is so effective such as his old car! and the squeaky door love it

    ReplyDelete